Recent breakthroughs in artificial intelligence (AI) have brought about transformative changes in various industries, including video production. It has opened up new opportunities for content creators to streamline their workflow, reduce costs, and enhance the speed of their output. AI can assist in every aspect of video production, quickly becoming an indispensable tool for the industry.
However, adopting AI in video production also comes with many new challenges.
In this article, we will examine how AI is transforming video production and explore the opportunities and challenges that arise with its integration into the industry 🤖
- Overview and Benefits of AI in Video Production
- Applications of AI in Video Production
- Case Studies of AI in the Video Production Industry
- Challenges and Limitations of AI in Creating Videos
- Future Directions of AI in Video Production
- Consider Blue Carrot Your Trusted Partner
- Key Takeaways
Overview and Benefits of AI in Video Production
AI is an amazing tool that can assist video producers with various tasks. Whatever you can think of, AI can help you with it. Need ideas for a script? AI can take a few prompts and make them into full-fledged scripts. Need to localize a video? AI can easily subtitle the video or even create a substitute voice-over. Want to create a video from scratch? AI avatars can help you by saying the words you want people to hear.
Another major advantage of AI is its speed. It can automate mundane tasks and let creative minds put more time and effort into what they do best: telling compelling stories and engaging the audience. People love (and fear) AI because it can do so much so fast.
Not only does AI increase the efficiency of video production, but it also reduces the costs. For instance, you can use artificial intelligence for visual effects that would be costly to create manually or to help you fix the color and light automatically.
The best thing about AI-assisted automated video production is that it can help smaller studios create giant projects that previously were doable only by huge production companies.
Applications of AI in Video Production
The benefits of using AI in video production are numerous, but where exactly can you use it? Here are a few examples of applying AI in video production.
- Ideation and script writing. Writer’s block can be a headache, especially when you need to create something fast. If ideas are not coming to your head, ask ChatGPT to help you. It will not create unique ideas, but it will help you get started.
- Style-frames and concept arts. Creating concept art or style-frame is an exciting but time-consuming stage of video creation that can stretch your budget. Luckily, there are tools like DALL·E 2, Midjourney, and Leonardo AI that use NLP integration to pump out passable images.
- Subtitling. If you need subtitles for your video, tools like Descript and Peech can easily handle it. Just load your video and let the AI generate the text. Edit where needed and get your finished product in less than a day.
- Voice-over. Do you have a great piece of information to share but nobody to voice it? No worries! Tools like Speechify, Lovo, and Murf have you covered. Choose the voice you need, enter your text, and let the magic happen. Sure, it does not always sound as natural as humans, but it is more than enough if you require it only for functional purposes.
- Animation. Some tools can help you create basic animations. For example, if you provide an image or a reference video to Kaiber, it will generate an animation in the style you want. For reference, check out Linkin Park’s music video for Lost, which they made completely with Kaiber AI. Alternatively, if you feed Deep Motion a video of a person moving, it will translate that into an animation without needing expensive motion capture equipment.
- Video editing. AI-driven post-production is all the rage today, with new tools coming out every day. Tools like Runway and Descript allow even amateur users to make seamless video edits. Even mastodons like Adobe Premiere Pro are adopting AI-assisted video editing tools to stay in the market.
- Full video production. Innovative tools like Synthesia, Elai, and D-ID allow you to create “talking head” videos for all purposes. Input your script, pick an avatar, add details using a user-friendly UI, and enjoy hours of high-quality videos. They do an amazing job of cutting costs and time spent localizing and scaling.
EXPLORE OUR ARTICLES:
🥕 How much does explainer video cost?
🥕 How to create an animation pipeline production?
🥕 Video length best practices: How long marketing videos should be?
Case Studies of AI in the Video Production Industry
Still not convinced artificial intelligence can change your life? Here are some case studies of artificial intelligence in video production, courtesy of Synthesia.
Alain Rees, the CEO of Cyber Inc., found that costly training videos were a major bottleneck in his potential expansion to other markets. They took a long time to produce and cost, on average, $3,000 per finished minute. He took to Synthesia to remedy this issue.
They created a custom avatar, localized the scripts, copied them into required boxes, and added backgrounds to the video. As a result, the company managed to create the content they were planning in half the time while localizing it to 6 languages simultaneously. Rees commented on the service’s ease of use, flexibility, and speed. He also added that he will gladly use the service again.
Eduard Dehgraf, a marketing and sales manager at Doculife, shares his experience creating marketing videos for their flagship project, One Profile.
In the beginning, Eduard was trying to do the videos himself. As he was not a professional voice actor, it took him a few tries to get the desired result. Then he had to create all the footage and manually sync the voice-over. To put it mildly, it was not very efficient.
He considered hiring a team to make the videos for him, but with a high cost of roughly $3,000 per finished minute, it was not the solution for him. At that point, he turned his sight to non-traditional ways of video creation.
👉 This is when he found Synthesia. Thanks to this AI tool, he managed to speed up the video production process by 20 times. Moreover, it saved him roughly 80% of the production budget.
Eduard noted that customers rarely ever noticed that AI avatars were not real people. He also loved the diversity available for avatars and their voices. As a result, Doculife plans to use Synthesia for its future promotional videos.
Chris Lavigne of Wistia has recently shown the potential of AI in content creation. As an experiment, he made a short video about making an apple pie.
First, he created a script using ChatGPT. Chris gave the tool a 2-line prompt which yielded fairly impressive results. The instructions were succinct yet detailed enough to create a short video. Chris mentioned that the AI tool created a great starting point for developing a script, but for the sake of the experiment, he did not change it.
After that, he used Synthesia to create a custom avatar and pasted the script into the tool. As he admits, the results were slightly uncanny and disturbing, especially considering he was looking at an avatar of himself.
Seeing the results, he decided to improve them even further using Descript. While the main appeals of this service are transcribing and subtitling, Chris used their library of stock photos and an easy-to-use illustration tool. He transferred the video from Synthesia to Descript. It quickly scanned and transcribed it. This allowed him to easily pick the sections where he wanted stock videos to appear.
👉 The final result was a passable video that could be used on a YouTube channel, especially if improved with further editing. However, as Chris mentions in his article, there is still much room for AI to grow.
Pros and Cons of AI in Video Production
✔️ Increased efficiency
✖️ Less of creativity
✖️ Limited control over output
✔️ Cost reduction
✖️ Less of flexibility and adaptability
✔️ Consistent quality
✖️ Learning curve
✔️ Ability to handle repetitive tasks
Challenges and Limitations of AI in Creating Videos
As much as we would love AI to solve all our problems, it is not a direct replacement for human professionals. While it can improve video editing and increase productivity, it has limited worth in the hands of someone who has no idea about the process. Using AI in video production requires an experienced AI operator and production editor.
We at Blue Carrot, as specialists in creating educational and marketing videos, have paid close attention to the challenges and opportunities of using AI by video producers.
The first and most obvious limitation we have found is the quality of AI avatars. Yes, they can look very life-like and mimic humans to a degree. However, there is still a visible difference compared to professional actors and voice-over artists. If you pay close attention, you can sometimes notice unnatural mimics and pauses, and generally that the person on the screen is AI-generated. This can have various reactions, from indifference to excitement to experiencing an uncanny valley.
As a side note, we should notice that AI is much better at conveying information than untrained actors. Sure, they still look artificial, but at least they do not stumble every few words.
According to our research, students found AI-generated videos to be a sufficient replacement for their professionally-created counterparts. Furthermore, you can use AI for marketing videos in the Awareness stage of the marketing funnel. However, you will likely still need handmade videos for your other marketing and promotional materials in the interest and consideration stages of the funnel.
Another challenge in using AI tools is that they can be rather complicated for real-life applications. If you have ever used artificial intelligence in your work, you will know the issue: you provide a prompt, and it takes a few seconds and returns an amazing result. But, despite how marvelous it is, it is not exactly what you want. So you start over and keep doing so until you get the desired result. You will need to get some experience with prompting before seamlessly and predictably integrating AI into your process.
Using AI for scalable video production can significantly speed up the process. To achieve the best results, you require a team of specialists who have experience in AI and video production. In particular, in creating effective prompts, adjusting AI outputs, and video creation/editing.
This particularly applies to editors who should know how to use both traditional and AI-powered editing tools. Moreover, it also applies to translators and script editors using DeepL or ChatGPT who will be doing post-editing and sometimes partial redoing. Nevertheless, it allows businesses to significantly increase the efficiency of their production.
Future Directions of AI in Video Production
The significant impact of AI on video production is obvious even now, but what can we expect in the near future? Here are a few predictions that we have:
- Higher quality. Compare AI products today and a few years ago, the difference is staggering. We have seen a massive leap in AI technology in the last year and now expect smaller gradual improvements over the lifetime of this technology.
- Wider application. Artificial intelligence is used fairly sparingly due to its lower quality compared to professional handmade production. However, it has proven its potential. We might see more obvious examples of AI in film-making, advertising, and other related industries that previously relied only on traditional video production practices.
- Opportunities for small studios. There is no doubt big corporations will be the ones who profit the most from artificial intelligence. Nevertheless, the real winners will be smaller studios, who will be able to take on much larger projects.
- AI content. We might, at some point, see AI creating customized content autonomously. AI algorithms will analyze data and create videos tailored for specific audiences. This is not something we will see soon, but it is highly probable in the future.
Consider Blue Carrot Your Trusted Partner
As experts in creating educational videos for businesses, Blue Carrot knows that AI and video production go hand in hand. One of our clients asked us to help them create a massive multilingual e-learning course with hundreds of hours of content planned.
They were in a hurry and wanted to keep their expenses reasonable, so we decided to use Synthesia. This allowed us to significantly speed up the process while remaining within the tight budget. According to our calculations, video production was 5–10 times cheaper and faster than traditional filming and editing. For example, at our peak, we created over 70 learning hours of media in five languages in just two months (including both translation and media production). To achieve this, we’ve also used DeepL along with some other CAT-tools to speed up the translation.
Needless to say, the client was overjoyed with the result. This was exactly what they needed to scale their business.
If you need high-quality educational videos, contact us. We have experience working with both manual and AI-powered tools. Moreover, we create both live-action and animated videos.
Need something more complex? We offer full-cycle creation of educational courses, including, but not limited to, researching the audience, setting educational goals, designing the program, producing the media (videos, Storyline Articulate content, handouts, etc.), and assembling focus groups to evaluate and improve the final product. Besides, we are capable of providing localization to numerous languages.
Click the blue button at the top of your screen to contact us and start our cooperation 🚀
The integration of AI in video production has brought about transformative changes. It is creating new opportunities for video producers to streamline their workflow, reduce costs, and enhance the speed of their output. AI can assist in every aspect of video production and can even take the whole process on itself.
However, adopting AI in video production also comes with its own challenges, and it requires careful consideration to use it effectively. As technology evolves, we can expect even more innovative AI-driven tools to emerge, further revolutionizing the video production industry.
ARE YOU CONSIDERING CREATING A VIDEO?
🥕 Check out what Blue Carrot has to offer.
Fill out the form below and we’ll get in touch with you to answer all your questions regarding video marketing benefits and provide assistance for your video project 😉